Auckland University of Technology
TuwheraLuqman Hayes, Scholarly Communications Team Leader
Phone: +64-0-9921-9999 ext. 8519
Tuwhera: be open.
Knowledge exists for the benefit of the communities from which it comes. We believe in openness, sharing, and toll-free access to research. We support the development of a sustainable and equitable commons.
Tuwhera is a te reo Māori word with multiple meanings: be open, opening up. We chose the name in collaboration with Māori staff from Te Ara Poutama at AUT to acknowledge parallels with, and to honour Māori reciprocal concepts and ideals such as ako (learning/teaching), awhi (to cherish), manaaki (hospitality, support, care), and mana tangata (empowerment, humanity).
- Publishing activities began: 2006
- Location: New Zealand
- Languages published: English, Māori
- Organization: centralized library publishing unit/department
- Stage of publishing efforts (1-3): 3 - Established
- Stage comments: Tuwhera Open Access Repository, established in 2006, was formerly AUT Scholarly Commons.Tuwhera Open Access publications (journals, ebooks, monograph series, conferences) was established in 2016.
- Open access focus (1-5): 5 - Completely
- Program advisory/editorial board: Yes
- Peer reviewed journals: 100%
- Professional staff: 5
- Library operating budget: 100%
Publishing ActivitiesTypes of publications: conference papers and proceedings, faculty; datasets; electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs); journals, campus-based faculty-created; journals, inactive back-issues; monographs; undergraduate capstones/honors theses; research outputs/journal articles; author accepted manuscripts and open versions of academic staff published research.
|Conference papers and proceedings, faculty||81||81|
|Conference papers and proceedings, student|
|Educational resources (e.g., textbooks, course modules)|
|Electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs)||380||325|
|Journals, campus-based faculty-created||15|
|Journals, campus-based student-created|
|Journals, contracted by external groups|
|Journals, inactive back issues||2||2|
|Undergraduate capstones/honors theses||28||0|
research outputs/journal articles (383; OA 372)
2021: New publications from July 2020 to June 2021. Journals include titles actively publishing during the date range. Other publication types include items that were published or added to repositories for the first time within the date range.
OA/Paid/Hybrid: Publications currently published and/or available online. OA (open access) publications do not include counts for hybrid publications. Hybrid publications are those that offer a combination of both open access and pay-access content.
- Te Kaharoa (journal)
- Three-Dimensional Physique Assessment in the Military: New Zealand Defence Force Anthropometry Survey Protocols and Summary Statistics (ebook)
- Pacific Journalism Review (journal)
- Teachers Work (journal)
- Decolonizing Criminology and Justice (journal)
- art and design
- Māori and Pacific Indigenous research
- health sciences
- communication and journalism
PartnersInternal partners: campus departments or programs
Openness to working with external partners: Consider external partners if there is a tie to my institution (e.g. local editor of a journal for an external scholarly society)
Part of a consortium that provides support for publishing?
Work with a university press?
Administer a university press?
Technologies & Services
- author advisory – copyright
- DOI assignment/allocation of identifiers
- graphic design (print or web)
- ISBN registry
- ISSN registry
- notification of A&I sources
Additional InformationPlans for Expansion & Future Directions:
Development of student run journals; expand research summaries collection; open data; expand monograph collection.
← Return to Directory