University Library Service
Cardiff University PressAlice Percival, Executive Officer
Phone: +44 (0)29 225 10221
Mission: To publish high-quality original academic research online at minimal or no cost and without making a profit, to ensure that the publications conform to Open Access principles, and to comply with funder and HEFCE mandates through Creative Commons licences.
Vision: To develop Cardiff University Press further as a high-impact, pioneering institutional publisher, committed to innovation and excellence in publishing, for the benefit of both academia and the wider external community.
- To support Open Access to scholarly research
- To facilitate cross-disciplinary and international research collaborations
- To increase Cardiff University’s engagement with the wider community, both local and international, by making the University’s own research outputs more accessible to everyone
- To ensure that Cardiff University Press publications are compliant with the next REF (Research Excellence Framework) where applicable
- To provide excellent services to editors and authors
- To support the professionalisation of Cardiff University students by offering them work experience on editorial teams
- To provide innovative publishing opportunities not readily available elsewhere
- To offer a platform for research outputs in the Welsh language
- To work with other universities and learned societies throughout the UK and worldwide, providing publishing opportunities for their research.
Motto: Rigour, Diversity and Relevance
- Publishing Activities Began: 2015
- Location: United Kingdom
- Languages published: We will consider content in any language, but the majority of our publications are in English. We are particularly keen to encourage submissions in the Welsh language, and will shortly be publishing our first Welsh language monograph.
- Organization: centralized library publishing unit/department
- Stage (1-3): 2 - Early
- Stage Comments: We have been publishing journals for five years, and published our first two monograph titles in 2019.
- Open Access Focus (1-5): 5 - Completely
- Program Advisory/Editorial Board: Yes
- Peer Reviewed Journals: 100%
- Professional staff: 1
- Library Operating Budget: 100%
Publishing ActivitiesTypes of publications: conference papers and proceedings, faculty; conference papers and proceedings, student; journals, campus-based faculty-created; journals, campus-based student-created; monographs; technical/research reports.
|Conference papers and proceedings, faculty||1||1|
|Conference papers and proceedings, student|
|Educational resources (ex. textbooks, course modules)|
|Electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs)|
|Journals, campus-based faculty-created||9||9|
|Journals, campus-based student-created||2||2|
|Journals, contracted by external groups|
|Journals, inactive back-issues|
|Undergraduate Capstones/Honors Theses|
2020: New publications from July 2019 to June 2020. Journals include titles actively publishing during the date range. Other publication types include items that were published or added to repositories for the first time within the date range.
OA/Paid/Hybrid: Publications currently published and/or available online. OA (open access) publications do not include counts for hybrid publications. Hybrid publications are those that offer a combination of both open access and pay-access content.
Library-Administered University Press Publications:
For journals, include titles that published at least one article in the last twelve months. For other publication types, report items that were published or added to your repository for the first time within the last twelve months.
|Conference papers and proceedings, faculty||1|
|Journals, campus-based faculty-created||7|
|Journals, campus-based student-created||2|
- The British Student Doctor Journal (journal)
- Martial Arts Studies (journal)
- Deconstructing Martial Arts (monograph)
- Welsh Economic Review (journal)
- JOMEC Journal (journal)
- cultural studies
PartnersInternal Partners: campus departments or programs
Openness to working with external partners: Open to working with any external partner
Best publications to refer to our program: High quality, research-based publications (academic journals, monographs, conference proceedings, reports, working papers and series) in any discipline related to Cardiff University research that are suitable for Open Access and not-for-profit publication.
Part of a consortium that provides support for publishing? no
Work with a university press? yes
- University Press Partners: Ubiquity Press
- Relationship between library publishing and university press: Integrated
Technologies & Services
- Ubiquity Press platforms (JMS, JURA and RUA). Wordpress is only used for our blog.
- contract/license preparation
- DOI assignment/allocation of identifiers
- graphic design (print or web)
- hosting of supplemental content
- ISBN registry
- ISSN registry
- peer review management
- British Library and other UK copyright libraries where requested; DOAJ
Additional InformationPlans for Expansion & Future Directions:
We are putting together a new 5-year plan for Cardiff University Press, and are keen to expand our activities. In particular we are aiming to: 1. enlarge our journal portfolio and monograph publication list, to include a wider range of academic disciplines (especially in physical and natural sciences), publication types and countries of origin; 2. broaden our outreach and promotional activities.
← Return to Directory