Cardiff University Press
Cardiff University PressAlice Percival, Executive Officer
Phone: +44 (0)29 225 10221
Mission: To publish high-quality original academic research online at minimal or no cost and without making a profit, to ensure that the publications conform to Open Access principles, and to comply with funder and UKRI mandates through Creative Commons licences.
Vision: To develop Cardiff University Press further as a high-impact, pioneering institutional publisher, committed to innovation and excellence in publishing, for the benefit of both academia and the wider external community.
To support Open Access to scholarly research
To facilitate cross-disciplinary and international research collaborations
To increase Cardiff University’s engagement with the wider community, both local and international, by making the University’s own research outputs more accessible to everyone
To ensure that Cardiff University Press publications are compliant with the next REF (Research Excellence Framework) where applicable
To provide excellent services to editors and authors
To support the professionalisation of Cardiff University students by offering them work experience on editorial teams
To provide innovative publishing opportunities not readily available elsewhere
To offer a platform for research outputs in the Welsh language
To work with other universities and learned societies throughout the UK and worldwide, providing publishing opportunities for their research.
Motto: Rigour, Diversity and Relevance
- Publishing activities began: 2015
- Location: United Kingdom
- Languages published: We will consider content in any language, but the majority of our publications are in English. We are particularly keen to encourage submissions in the Welsh language, and published our first Welsh monograph in November 2020.
- Organization: centralized library publishing unit/department
- Stage of publishing efforts (1-3): 2 - Early
- Stage comments: We have been publishing journals for six years and monographs for two years. As at August 2021 we have 11 active journal titles with two more in preparation for launch, and we are about to publish our sixth monograph.
- Open access focus (1-5): 5 - Completely
- Program advisory/editorial board: Yes
- Peer reviewed journals: 100%
- Professional staff: 1
- Library operating budget: 100%
Publishing ActivitiesTypes of publications: conference papers and proceedings, faculty; conference papers and proceedings, student; journals, campus-based faculty-created; journals, campus-based student-created; journals, contracted by external groups; monographs; technical/research reports.
|Conference papers and proceedings, faculty|
|Conference papers and proceedings, student|
|Educational resources (e.g., textbooks, course modules)|
|Electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs)|
|Journals, campus-based faculty-created||6||6|
|Journals, campus-based student-created||3||3|
|Journals, contracted by external groups||2||2|
|Journals, inactive back issues|
|Undergraduate capstones/honors theses|
2021: New publications from July 2020 to June 2021. Journals include titles actively publishing during the date range. Other publication types include items that were published or added to repositories for the first time within the date range.
OA/Paid/Hybrid: Publications currently published and/or available online. OA (open access) publications do not include counts for hybrid publications. Hybrid publications are those that offer a combination of both open access and pay-access content.
Library-administered university press publications:
For journals, include titles that published at least one article in the last twelve months. For other publication types, report items that were published or added to your repository for the first time within the last twelve months.
|Journals, campus-based faculty-created||6|
|Journals, campus-based student-created||3|
|Journals, contracted by external groups||1|
- The British Student Doctor Journal (journal)
- Martial Arts Studies (journal)
- Welsh Economic Review (journal)
- Adrodd ar Dlodi: Naratif y Cyfryngau Newyddion a Chyfathrebiadau’r Trydydd Sector yng Nghymru (monograph)
- JOMEC Journal (journal)
- cultural studies
PartnersInternal partners: campus departments or programs
Openness to working with external partners: Open to working with any external partner
Best publications to refer to our program: High quality, research-based publications (academic journals, monographs, conference proceedings, reports, working papers and series) in any discipline related to Cardiff University research that are suitable for Open Access and not-for-profit publication. We will consider submissions by faculty staff and/or research postgraduate students, written in any language including Welsh.
Technologies & Services
- Potentially we could accommodate other formats but we have not yet been asked to do so.
- Ubiquity Press platforms (JMS, JURA and RUA). Wordpress is only used for our blog.
- DOI distribution
- author advisory – copyright
- author advisory – other
- compiling indexes and/or TOCs
- contract/license preparation
- DOI assignment/allocation of identifiers
- graphic design (print or web)
- hosting of supplemental content
- ISBN registry
- ISSN registry
- notification of A&I sources
- peer review management
- British Library, and other UK copyright libraries where requested; DOAJ
Additional InformationPlans for expansion & future directions:
We are working on a new 5-year plan for Cardiff University Press, and are keen to expand our activities. The three most important areas that we are focusing on and starting to make progress in are: 1. the development of a robust business case which will support our plans for expansion 2. the growth of our journal portfolio and monograph publication list, to include a wider range of academic disciplines (especially in physical and natural sciences), publication types and countries of origin 3. the refinement of our outreach and promotional activities, targeting key stakeholders in order to increase awareness of and engagement with Cardiff University Press.
← Return to Directory