Illinois Wesleyan University

The Ames Library

Scholarly Communications
United States

Primary Contact:
Stephanie Davis-Kahl
Scholarly Communications Librarian
309-556-3010

Program Overview

The Ames Library publishing program focuses on disseminating excellent student-authored research, scholarship, and creative works, with an emphasis on providing education and outreach on issues related to publishing such as open access, author rights, and copyright.

Year publishing activities began: 2008

Organization: centralized library publishing unit/department

Total FTE in support of publishing activities: library staff (2); undergraduate students (3)

Funding sources (%): library operating budget (25); non-library campus budget (75)

Stage of publishing efforts (1–5):

Open access focus (1–5):

Advisory/editorial board:

Publishing Activities

Library-administered university press publications in 2014:

Library publications in 2014: student-driven journals (6); textbooks; (1); student conference papers and proceedings (1); newsletters (1); undergraduate capstone/ honors theses (25)

Number of open access titles:

Number of paid titles:

Number of hybrid titles:

Media formats: text; images; audio; video

Disciplinary specialties: economics; political science; history

Top publications: Undergraduate Economic Review (journal); Constructing History (journal); Res Publica (journal)

Percentage of journals that are peer reviewed: 100

Percentage of journals assessing article processing charges (APCs):

Internal partners: campus departments or programs; individual faculty; undergraduate students

External partners:

Publishing platform(s): bepress (Digital Commons)

Digital preservation strategy: in-house; digital preservation services under discussion

Additional services: training; analytics; metadata; peer review management; author copyright advisory; other author advisory; hosting of supplemental content; audio/video streaming

Additional Information

Plans for expansion/future directions: Regarding our funding model; 25 percent of the cost of our bepress implementation is covered by the library, while the remaining 75 percent is generously provided by the Office of the President, Office of the Provost, and Mellon Center for Faculty and Curriculum Development. Faculty advisors for our student journals donate their time.
Considering how to best position the program to become a publishing outlet for faculty. View All Entries