McGill University Library and Archives
Digital InitiativesJessica Lange, Scholarly Communications and Repository Librarian
McGill Library and Archives publishes scholarly peer-reviewed journals using an open access business model. We achieve this by working closely with our campus community in order to provide them with publishing services that support their research needs, accommodating multiple levels of scholarship including faculty, graduate students, and undergraduates. We ensure that journals published with us are disseminated worldwide with appropriate infrastructure and that content is accessible on a global scale with minimal restrictions on access and reuse.
- Publishing activities began: 1998
- Location: Canada
- Languages published: English, French
- Organization: centralized library publishing unit/department
- Stage of publishing efforts (1-3): 3 - Established
- Stage comments:
- Open access focus (1-5): 5 - Completely
- Program advisory/editorial board: No
- Peer reviewed journals: 100%
- Library operating budget: 95%
- Grants: 5%
Publishing ActivitiesTypes of publications: conference papers and proceedings, faculty; conference papers and proceedings, student; datasets; electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs); journals, campus-based faculty-created; journals, campus-based student-created; journals, inactive back-issues; monographs; technical/research reports; undergraduate capstones/honors theses.
|Conference papers and proceedings, faculty||1|
|Conference papers and proceedings, student||1|
|Educational resources (e.g., textbooks, course modules)|
|Electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs)||50000|
|Journals, campus-based faculty-created||11|
|Journals, campus-based student-created||3|
|Journals, contracted by external groups|
|Journals, inactive back issues||5|
|Undergraduate capstones/honors theses||150|
2021: New publications from July 2020 to June 2021. Journals include titles actively publishing during the date range. Other publication types include items that were published or added to repositories for the first time within the date range.
OA/Paid/Hybrid: Publications currently published and/or available online. OA (open access) publications do not include counts for hybrid publications. Hybrid publications are those that offer a combination of both open access and pay-access content.
- McGill Journal of Education (journal)
- International Journal of Whole Person Care (journal)
- Canadian Review of Art Education (CRAE) (journal)
- McGill Journal of Medicine (journal)
- library and information studies
- health sciences
PartnersInternal partners: campus departments or programs
Openness to working with external partners: Consider external partners if there is a tie to my institution (e.g. local editor of a journal for an external scholarly society)
Part of a consortium that provides support for publishing?
Work with a university press?
Administer a university press?
Technologies & Services
- multimedia/interactive content
- applying for Cataloging in Publication Data
- author advisory – copyright
- author advisory – other
- DOI assignment/allocation of identifiers
- hosting of supplemental content
- ISBN registry
- ISSN registry
- PKP Preservation Network