Penn State University
Penn State University Libraries
Research Informatics and PublishingAlly Laird, Open Publishing Program Coordinator
To provide publishing support and hosting services to Penn State affiliated researchers, and also to support content of particular importance to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, by making all content accessible and available Open Access.
- Publishing Activities Began: 2007
- Location: United States
- Languages published: English
- Organization: centralized library publishing unit/department
- Stage (1-3): 3 - Established
- Stage Comments: While our program is certainly growing and changing every year, the Penn State Libraries Open Publishing Program is well established within our library and the Penn State community and beyond.
- Open Access Focus (1-5): 5 - Completely
- Program Advisory/Editorial Board: Yes
- Peer Reviewed Journals: 100%
- Professional staff: 2
- Undergraduates: 0.25
- Library Operating Budget: 100%
Publishing ActivitiesTypes of publications: conference papers and proceedings, faculty; databases; journals, campus-based faculty-created; journals, campus-based student-created; journals, contracted by external groups; journals, inactive back-issues; monographs; Scholarly Bibliographies.
|Conference papers and proceedings, faculty|
|Conference papers and proceedings, student|
|Educational resources (ex. textbooks, course modules)|
|Electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs)|
|Journals, campus-based faculty-created||8|
|Journals, campus-based student-created||1||1|
|Journals, contracted by external groups||4||1||3|
|Journals, inactive back-issues||1||1|
|Undergraduate Capstones/Honors Theses|
Scholarly Bibliographies (7)
2020: New publications from July 2019 to June 2020. Journals include titles actively publishing during the date range. Other publication types include items that were published or added to repositories for the first time within the date range.
OA/Paid/Hybrid: Publications currently published and/or available online. OA (open access) publications do not include counts for hybrid publications. Hybrid publications are those that offer a combination of both open access and pay-access content.
- Utopian Literature in English: An Annotated Bibliography From 1516 to the Present (bibliography)
- Western Pennsylvania History (journal)
- International Journal of Education and the Arts (journal)
- Penn State Journal of Medicine (journal)
- Journal of Research in Rural Education (journal)
- Pennsylvania history
PartnersInternal Partners: campus departments or programs
Openness to working with external partners: Consider external partners if there is a tie to my institution (e.g. local editor of a journal for an external scholarly society)
Part of a consortium that provides support for publishing? no
Work with a university press? no
Administer a university press? no
- Relationship between library publishing and university press: Separate Entities
Technologies & Services
- locally developed software
- author advisory – copyright
- compiling indexes and/or TOCs
- contract/license preparation
- DOI assignment/allocation of identifiers
- hosting of supplemental content
- ISSN registry
- peer review management
- Digital preservation services under discussion
Additional InformationPlans for Expansion & Future Directions:
Expanding our publishing services to cover conference proceedings.
Currently, our publications require a connection to Penn State in some way (board, editor, monograph author, etc.), unless there is a strong interest and benefit to the Commonwealth of PA.
← Return to Directory