Simon Fraser University
Simon Fraser University Library
Digital PublishingKate Shuttleworth, Digital Publishing Librarian
Provide online hosting and related technical support at no charge for scholarly journals and books that have a significant SFU faculty connection or to support SFU-based teaching and research initiatives. Responsible for depositing formatted theses in the Library’s research repository, Summit.
- Publishing activities began: 2004
- Location: Canada
- Languages published: English, French
- Organization: services distributed across library units/departments
- Stage of publishing efforts (1-3): 3 - Established
- Stage comments:
- Open access focus (1-5): 5 - Completely
- Program advisory/editorial board: No
- Peer reviewed journals: 100%
- Professional staff: 1
- Paraprofessional staff: 2
- Graduate students: 0.25
- Library operating budget: 50%
- Other: 50%
Publishing ActivitiesTypes of publications: conference papers and proceedings, faculty; conference papers and proceedings, student; databases; datasets; educational resources (ex. textbooks, course modules); electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs); expansive digital publications (digital humanities or other complex multimedia projects); journals, campus-based faculty-created; journals, campus-based student-created; journals, contracted by external groups; journals, inactive back-issues; monographs; newsletters; technical/research reports; undergraduate capstones/honors theses.
|Conference papers and proceedings, faculty||7||7|
|Conference papers and proceedings, student|
|Educational resources (e.g., textbooks, course modules)|
|Electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs)||536||536|
|Journals, campus-based faculty-created||23||23|
|Journals, campus-based student-created||14||14|
|Journals, contracted by external groups|
|Journals, inactive back issues||6||6|
|Undergraduate capstones/honors theses|
2021: New publications from July 2020 to June 2021. Journals include titles actively publishing during the date range. Other publication types include items that were published or added to repositories for the first time within the date range.
OA/Paid/Hybrid: Publications currently published and/or available online. OA (open access) publications do not include counts for hybrid publications. Hybrid publications are those that offer a combination of both open access and pay-access content.
- Canadian Journal of Communication (journal)
- Canadian Journal of Higher Education (journal)
- Philosophical Inquiry in Education (journal)
- International Journal of Education Policy and Leadership (journal)
- Discourse and Writing/Rédactologie (journal)
PartnersInternal partners: campus departments or programs
Openness to working with external partners: Open to working with any external partner
Part of a consortium that provides support for publishing?
Work with a university press?
Administer a university press?
Technologies & Services
- concept maps or other visualizations
- multimedia/interactive content
- DOI distribution
- applying for Cataloging in Publication Data
- audio/video streaming
- author advisory – copyright
- compiling indexes and/or TOCs
- dataset management
- DOI assignment/allocation of identifiers
- graphic design (print or web)
- hosting of supplemental content
- ISBN registry
- ISSN registry
- PKP Preservation Network