The University of Southern Mississippi Libraries
Joseph Anderson Cook Library
Library TechnologyJosh Cromwell, Scholarly Communications Manager
We provide a platform and other support services to assist the university community with publishing activities in an electronic format, and we encourage that these publications should ideally be Open Access, if possible.
- Publishing activities began: 2012
- Location: United States
- Languages published: English
- Organization: centralized library publishing unit/department
- Stage of publishing efforts (1-3): 3 - Established
- Stage comments:
- Open access focus (1-5): 4 - Very Important
- Program advisory/editorial board: No
- Peer reviewed journals: 75%
- Journals that assess article processing charges: 13%
- Professional staff: 2
- Library operating budget: 100%
Publishing ActivitiesTypes of publications: datasets; educational resources (ex. textbooks, course modules); electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs); journals, campus-based faculty-created; journals, campus-based student-created; journals, contracted by external groups; journals, inactive back-issues; newsletters; undergraduate capstones/honors theses.
|Conference papers and proceedings, faculty|
|Conference papers and proceedings, student|
|Educational resources (e.g., textbooks, course modules)||2||2|
|Electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs)||204||204|
|Journals, campus-based faculty-created||4||3||1|
|Journals, campus-based student-created||2||2|
|Journals, contracted by external groups||2||2|
|Journals, inactive back issues|
|Undergraduate capstones/honors theses||111||111|
2021: New publications from July 2020 to June 2021. Journals include titles actively publishing during the date range. Other publication types include items that were published or added to repositories for the first time within the date range.
OA/Paid/Hybrid: Publications currently published and/or available online. OA (open access) publications do not include counts for hybrid publications. Hybrid publications are those that offer a combination of both open access and pay-access content.
- Gulf and Caribbean Research (journal)
- SLIS Connecting (journal)
- Journal of Educational Technology Development and Exchange (journal)
- Online Journal of Health Ethics (journal)
- Coastlines (student journal)
- library science
- marine biology
- archival science
PartnersInternal partners: campus departments or programs
Openness to working with external partners: Consider external partners if there is a tie to my institution (e.g. local editor of a journal for an external scholarly society)
Part of a consortium that provides support for publishing?
Work with a university press?
Administer a university press?
Technologies & Services
- multimedia/interactive content
- Digital Commons (bepress)
- audio/video streaming
- author advisory – copyright
- dataset management
- DOI assignment/allocation of identifiers
- hosting of supplemental content
- peer review management
Additional InformationPlans for Expansion & Future Directions:
Future plans include an increased emphasis on OER and hopefully adding more support for monographs at some point. We are also hoping to one day add a full-time designer and copyeditor to support new initiatives.
← Return to Directory