University of California
California Digital Library
Publishing, Archives, and DigitizationCatherine Mitchell, Director, Publishing, Archives, and Digitization
eScholarship Publishing provides comprehensive publication services for UC-affiliated departments, research units, publishing programs, and individual scholars who seek to publish original, open access journals, books, preprints, conference proceedings, and other forms of scholarship. Our program, in particular, supports publications that traverse standard disciplinary boundaries, explore new publishing models, and/or seek to reach professionals in applied fields beyond academia.
We are currently partnering with other organizations on an Arcadia-funded “Next Generation Library Publishing” (NGLP) project, which aims to advance and integrate open source publishing infrastructure to provide robust support for library publishing. Project goals include:
Creating a more balanced, effective academic publishing ecosystem that aligns with academic values and increases choice, opportunity, and innovation via compelling library publishing solutions;
Developing tools and standards that allow better integration of campus repository systems and publishing workflows across the lifecycle of scholarly research;
Establishing sustainable, community-governed, open solutions that rival best-of-breed commercial tools and advance scholarly communication in important ways.
- Publishing activities began: 2002
- Location: United States
- Languages published: English, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, German
- Organization: centralized library publishing unit/department
- Stage of publishing efforts (1-3): 3 - Established
- Stage comments:
- Open access focus (1-5): 5 - Completely
- Program advisory/editorial board: No
- Peer reviewed journals: 100%
- Journals that assess article processing charges: 2%
- Professional staff: 6
- Library operating budget: 100%
Publishing ActivitiesTypes of publications: conference papers and proceedings, faculty; conference papers and proceedings, student; educational resources (ex. textbooks, course modules); electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs); expansive digital publications (digital humanities or other complex multimedia projects); journals, campus-based faculty-created; journals, campus-based student-created; journals, inactive back-issues; monographs; newsletters; technical/research reports; undergraduate capstones/honors theses; preprints.
|Conference papers and proceedings, faculty||226||226|
|Conference papers and proceedings, student||0|
|Educational resources (e.g., textbooks, course modules)||3||3|
|Electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs)||2819||2819|
|Journals, campus-based faculty-created||34||34|
|Journals, campus-based student-created||16||16|
|Journals, contracted by external groups|
|Journals, inactive back issues||33||33|
|Undergraduate capstones/honors theses||183||183|
2021: New publications from July 2020 to June 2021. Journals include titles actively publishing during the date range. Other publication types include items that were published or added to repositories for the first time within the date range.
OA/Paid/Hybrid: Publications currently published and/or available online. OA (open access) publications do not include counts for hybrid publications. Hybrid publications are those that offer a combination of both open access and pay-access content.
- Alon: Journal for Filipinx American and Diasporic Studies (journal)
- New Chaucer Studies: Pedagogy and Profession (journal)
- Kinship (journal)
- Ultrasound in Resource-Limited Settings: A Case Based, Open Access Text (book)
- EarthArXiv (preprint server)
PartnersInternal partners: campus departments or programs
Openness to working with external partners: Consider external partners if there is a tie to my institution (e.g. local editor of a journal for an external scholarly society)
Part of a consortium that provides support for publishing?
Work with a university press?
- University press partner: University of California Press
Technologies & Services
- concept maps or other visualizations
- multimedia/interactive content
- locally developed software
- audio/video streaming
- author advisory – copyright
- author advisory – other
- contract/license preparation
- DOI assignment/allocation of identifiers
- hosting of supplemental content
- ISSN registry
- notification of A&I sources
- peer review management
- UC3 Merritt