University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Scholarly Communication and PublishingDaniel Tracy, Head, Scholarly Communication and Publishing
Scholarly Communication and Publishing develops innovative, sustainable structures for the development of digital scholarship and broad dissemination and enduring preservation of the scholarly conversation, towards the goal of ensuring that the benefits of scholarship accrue to everyone. We provide expertise on copyright, authors’ rights, digital humanities, online scholarly identities, and open access publishing to faculty, staff, and students at the University of Illinois. Our press, the Illinois Open Publishing Network, publishes scholarly work across the disciplines and seeks to lower the cost of producing, disseminating, and preserving high-quality educational and scholarly publications through optimized use of resources.
- Publishing activities began: 2010
- Location: United States
- Languages published: English
- Organization: services distributed across campus
- Stage of publishing efforts (1-3): 2 - Early
- Stage comments:
- Open access focus (1-5): 5 - Completely
- Program advisory/editorial board: Yes
- Peer reviewed journals: 100%
- Journals that assess article processing charges: 17%
- Professional staff: 4.5
- Graduate students: 1
- Library operating budget: 80%
- Endowment income: 5%
- Grants: 15%
Publishing ActivitiesTypes of publications: conference papers and proceedings, faculty; conference papers and proceedings, student; datasets; educational resources (ex. textbooks, course modules); electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs); expansive digital publications (digital humanities or other complex multimedia projects); journals, campus-based faculty-created; journals, campus-based student-created; journals, contracted by external groups; journals, inactive back-issues; monographs; newsletters; technical/research reports; undergraduate capstones/honors theses.
|Conference papers and proceedings, faculty|
|Conference papers and proceedings, student|
|Educational resources (e.g., textbooks, course modules)||2||2|
|Electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs)||1182|
|Journals, campus-based faculty-created||1||1|
|Journals, campus-based student-created||4||4|
|Journals, contracted by external groups||3||3|
|Journals, inactive back issues|
|Undergraduate capstones/honors theses|
2021: New publications from July 2020 to June 2021. Journals include titles actively publishing during the date range. Other publication types include items that were published or added to repositories for the first time within the date range.
OA/Paid/Hybrid: Publications currently published and/or available online. OA (open access) publications do not include counts for hybrid publications. Hybrid publications are those that offer a combination of both open access and pay-access content.
- Lost in the City: An Exploration of Edward P. Jones's Short Fiction (multimodal book)
- Instruction in Libraries and Information Centers (textbook)
- ВИВЛIОθИКА: E-Journal of Eighteenth-Century Russian Studies (journal)
- The Journal of Anime and Manga Studies (journal)
- A Person-Centered Guide to Demystifying Technology (textbook)
- African-American studies
- library and information science
- media studies
PartnersInternal partners: campus departments or programs
Openness to working with external partners: Work with any external partner for long-form works; work with external partners with ties to institution (i.e. advisory board member) for journals
Best publications to refer to our program: multimodal (text plus multimedia) publications; open textbooks; companion websites for traditional text monographs; publications fitting the Pressbooks, Omeka S, and Scalar platforms.
Part of a consortium that provides support for publishing?
Work with a university press?
- University press partner: University of Illinois Press
Technologies & Services
- concept maps or other visualizations
- multimedia/interactive content
- locally developed software
- audio/video streaming
- author advisory – copyright
- author advisory – other
- dataset management
- DOI assignment/allocation of identifiers
- hosting of supplemental content
- ISBN registry
- peer review management
- Amazon Glacier
- Digital preservation services under discussion
- Internet Archive
Additional InformationOther Information:
Additional press partner: Open Humanities Press.
← Return to Directory