University of Pittsburgh
University Library System, University of Pittsburgh
Office of Scholarly Communication and PublishingVanessa Gabler, Electronic Publications Manager
Our mission is to support researchers in knowledge production, rapid sharing of new research, and Open Access to scholarly information; build collaborative partnerships around the world; improve the production and sharing of scholarly research; and support innovative publishing services.
- Publishing activities began: 1999
- Location: United States
- Languages published: English; Spanish; Portuguese; French; Japanese
- Organization: centralized library publishing unit/department
- Stage of publishing efforts (1-3): 3 - Established
- Stage comments:
- Open access focus (1-5): 5 - Completely
- Program advisory/editorial board: Yes
- Peer reviewed journals: 100%
- Professional staff: 3
- Paraprofessional staff: 0.5
- Library operating budget: 75%
- Chargebacks: 25%
Publishing ActivitiesTypes of publications: electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs); journals, campus-based faculty-created; journals, campus-based student-created; journals, contracted by external groups; journals, inactive back-issues; undergraduate capstones/honors theses; dynamic reference work consisting of installments of peer-reviewed lexicon entries.
|Conference papers and proceedings, faculty|
|Conference papers and proceedings, student|
|Educational resources (e.g., textbooks, course modules)|
|Electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs)||699||699|
|Journals, campus-based faculty-created||7||6||1|
|Journals, campus-based student-created||7||7|
|Journals, contracted by external groups||19||19|
|Journals, inactive back issues||15||15|
|Undergraduate capstones/honors theses||82||82|
Dynamic reference work/Lexicon (1)
2021: New publications from July 2020 to June 2021. Journals include titles actively publishing during the date range. Other publication types include items that were published or added to repositories for the first time within the date range.
OA/Paid/Hybrid: Publications currently published and/or available online. OA (open access) publications do not include counts for hybrid publications. Hybrid publications are those that offer a combination of both open access and pay-access content.
- Names: A Journal of Onomastics (journal)
- International Journal of Telerehabilitation (journal)
- International Journal of Medical Students (journal)
- Impacting Education: Journal on Transforming Professional Practice (journal)
- Goethe-Lexicon of Philosophical Concepts (lexicon)
- cultural studies
- health sciences
PartnersInternal partners: campus departments or programs
Openness to working with external partners: Open to working with any external partner
Best publications to refer to our program: Peer-reviewed subscription and/or scholarly society journals seeking an Open Access publisher.
Part of a consortium that provides support for publishing?
Work with a university press?
Administer a university press?
Technologies & Services
- DOI distribution
- applying for Cataloging in Publication Data
- author advisory – copyright
- author advisory – other
- business model development
- contract/license preparation
- DOI assignment/allocation of identifiers
- graphic design (print or web)
- hosting of supplemental content
- ISSN registry
- notification of A&I sources
- Document conversion: XML and HTML
- PKP Preservation Network
Additional InformationPlans for Expansion & Future Directions:
The new Library-Hosted Publications service publishes content produced by Pitt students, faculty, or staff that does not fit within a traditional journal publishing model or does not adhere to the selection criteria for our traditional ULS Journal Publishing Program. We now offer three publishing services: ULS Journal Publishing Program, Scholarly Exchange® Hosting Service, and Library-Hosted Publications. We will launch an imprint in the next year for our ULS Journal Publishing Program.
← Return to Directory