University of Tennessee, Knoville
Library AdministrationHolly Mercer, Senior Associate Dean
Newfound Press, the University Libraries’ open access digital imprint, advances the community of learning by experimenting with effective and open systems of scholarly communication. We publish in many disciplines, encompassing scientific research, humanistic scholarship, and artistic creation.
VOL Journals are Volunteer, Open-Access, Library-hosted Journals, a service for UT researchers and scholars provided by The University of Tennessee Libraries. UT Libraries partners with editors and/or societies to publish and share academic research and scholarship with the broader community, thus helping to fulfill The University of Tennessee’s mission to enrich and elevate citizens of the state, nation, and world.
- Publishing activities began: 2005
- Location: United States
- Languages published: English
- Organization: services distributed across library units/departments
- Stage of publishing efforts (1-3): 3 - Established
- Stage comments:
- Open access focus (1-5): 5 - Completely
- Program advisory/editorial board: No
- Peer reviewed journals: 85%
- Journals that assess article processing charges: 8%
- Professional staff: 2.3
- Graduate students: 0.5
- Library operating budget: 100%
Publishing ActivitiesTypes of publications: conference papers and proceedings, faculty; databases; educational resources (ex. textbooks, course modules); electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs); expansive digital publications (digital humanities or other complex multimedia projects); journals, campus-based student-created; journals, contracted by external groups; journals, inactive back-issues; monographs; newsletters; undergraduate capstones/honors theses.
|Conference papers and proceedings, faculty||8||8|
|Conference papers and proceedings, student|
|Educational resources (e.g., textbooks, course modules)||10||10|
|Electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs)||1405||1405|
|Journals, campus-based faculty-created|
|Journals, campus-based student-created||2||2|
|Journals, contracted by external groups||6||6|
|Journals, inactive back issues|
|Undergraduate capstones/honors theses||72||72|
2021: New publications from July 2020 to June 2021. Journals include titles actively publishing during the date range. Other publication types include items that were published or added to repositories for the first time within the date range.
OA/Paid/Hybrid: Publications currently published and/or available online. OA (open access) publications do not include counts for hybrid publications. Hybrid publications are those that offer a combination of both open access and pay-access content.
Library-administered university press publications:
For journals, include titles that published at least one article in the last twelve months. For other publication types, report items that were published or added to your repository for the first time within the last twelve months.
- The Impact of Colonialism on African Economic Development (undergraduate thesis)
- International Journal of Nuclear Security (journal)
- With a Critical Eye: An Intellectual and His Times (monograph)
- The Battle of Shiloh and the Organizations Engaged (monograph)
- Building Bridges in Anthropology: Understanding, Acting, Teaching, and Theorizing (proceedings)
- East Tennessee
PartnersInternal partners: campus departments or programs
Openness to working with external partners: Consider external partners if there is a tie to my institution (e.g. local editor of a journal for an external scholarly society)
Part of a consortium that provides support for publishing?
Work with a university press?
- University press partner: University of Tennessee Press
Technologies & Services
- multimedia/interactive content
- Digital Commons (bepress)
- applying for Cataloging in Publication Data
- author advisory – copyright
- author advisory – other
- business model development
- contract/license preparation
- DOI assignment/allocation of identifiers
- graphic design (print or web)
- hosting of supplemental content
- ISBN registry
- ISSN registry
- peer review management