University of Virginia
AperioDave S. Ghamandi, Open Publishing Librarian and Managing Editor, Aperio
Aperio, a service of the University of Virginia Library, draws upon the strengths of the University to increase open access knowledge for a global audience in a variety of formats—journals, monographs, open educational resources, etc.
- Publishing activities began: 2010
- Location: United States
- Languages published: English
- Organization: centralized library publishing unit/department
- Stage of publishing efforts (1-3): 2 - Early
- Stage comments:
- Open access focus (1-5): 5 - Completely
- Program advisory/editorial board: Yes
- Peer reviewed journals: 100%
- Professional staff: 1.2
- Endowment income: 80%
- Chargebacks: 20%
Publishing ActivitiesTypes of publications: conference papers and proceedings, faculty; datasets; educational resources (ex. textbooks, course modules); electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs); journals, campus-based faculty-created; journals, campus-based student-created; journals, contracted by external groups; monographs; technical/research reports; undergraduate capstones/honors theses.
|Conference papers and proceedings, faculty||13|
|Conference papers and proceedings, student|
|Educational resources (e.g., textbooks, course modules)||1|
|Electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs)||512|
|Journals, campus-based faculty-created||2|
|Journals, campus-based student-created||1|
|Journals, contracted by external groups|
|Journals, inactive back issues|
|Undergraduate capstones/honors theses||720|
2021: New publications from July 2020 to June 2021. Journals include titles actively publishing during the date range. Other publication types include items that were published or added to repositories for the first time within the date range.
OA/Paid/Hybrid: Publications currently published and/or available online. OA (open access) publications do not include counts for hybrid publications. Hybrid publications are those that offer a combination of both open access and pay-access content.
- The Public Domain Song Anthology (open educational resource & songbook)
- Journal of Modern Philosophy (journal)
- Essays in History (journal)
- higher education administration
PartnersInternal partners: campus departments or programs
Openness to working with external partners: Consider external partners if there is a tie to my institution (e.g. local editor of a journal for an external scholarly society)
Part of a consortium that provides support for publishing?
Work with a university press?
Administer a university press?
Technologies & Services
- concept maps or other visualizations
- Ubiquity Press
- DOI distribution
- author advisory – copyright
- author advisory – other
- budget preparation
- business model development
- contract/license preparation
- DOI assignment/allocation of identifiers
- graphic design (print or web)
- hosting of supplemental content
- ISSN registry
- notification of A&I sources
- peer review management
- AP Trust
Additional InformationPlans for Expansion & Future Directions:
Aperio, an all open access press, is soliciting proposals for journals, monographs, textbooks, and other educational resources.
← Return to Directory