VIVA (Virtual Library of Virginia)
VIVAStephanie Westcott, Open and Sustainable Learning Coordinator
The VIVA Open and Affordable Course Content Initiative investigates and supports sustainable educational resource and access models that enable equitable and inclusive learning, give faculty control over instructional materials, and lower the costs of higher education for Virginia students. Within this program, VIVA Open Grants support the creation of Open Educational Resources by providing awardees with the tools they need to produce openly-licensed course materials published and hosted on VIVA’s Pressbooks site and OER Commons instance.
- Publishing activities began: 2019
- Location: United States
- Organization: organization (e.g. non-profit association, library consortia) that provides or supports library publishing activities on behalf of its library members
- Stage of publishing efforts (1-3): 2 - Early
- Stage comments:
- Open access focus (1-5): 5 - Completely
- Program advisory/editorial board: Yes
- Professional staff: 1.5
- Other: 100%
Publishing ActivitiesTypes of publications: educational resources (ex. textbooks, course modules).
|Conference papers and proceedings, faculty|
|Conference papers and proceedings, student|
|Educational resources (e.g., textbooks, course modules)||7||7|
|Electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs)|
|Journals, campus-based faculty-created|
|Journals, campus-based student-created|
|Journals, contracted by external groups|
|Journals, inactive back issues|
|Undergraduate capstones/honors theses|
2021: New publications from July 2020 to June 2021. Journals include titles actively publishing during the date range. Other publication types include items that were published or added to repositories for the first time within the date range.
OA/Paid/Hybrid: Publications currently published and/or available online. OA (open access) publications do not include counts for hybrid publications. Hybrid publications are those that offer a combination of both open access and pay-access content.
PartnersInternal partners: campus departments or programs
Openness to working with external partners: Open to working with any external partner
Part of a consortium that provides support for publishing?
- Name of consortium: VIVA
Administer a university press?
Technologies & Services
- multimedia/interactive content
- OER Commons; web-based publishing; author determined platforms
- author advisory – copyright
- budget preparation
- DOI assignment/allocation of identifiers
- hosting of supplemental content