Research and Scholarly CommunicationJoanne Paterson, Head, Research and Scholarly Communication
Phone: 519-661-2111, ext. 80957
The publishing mission of Western Libraries is to work directly with faculty and students to achieve their academic publishing goals by providing tools for and expertise in disseminating original scholarly work, advocating for open access, and educating journal teams about ethical and rigorous publishing processes and standards.
- Publishing activities began: 2008
- Location: Canada
- Languages published: English; French; Spanish
- Organization: centralized library publishing unit/department
- Stage of publishing efforts (1-3): 2 - Early
- Stage comments:
- Open access focus (1-5): 5 - Completely
- Program advisory/editorial board: No
- Peer reviewed journals: 90%
- Professional staff: 0.75
- Paraprofessional staff: 0.25
- Library materials budget: 100%
Publishing ActivitiesTypes of publications: electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs); journals, campus-based faculty-created; journals, campus-based student-created; journals, inactive back-issues; monographs; Conference papers and proceedings - faculty and student.
|Conference papers and proceedings, faculty|
|Conference papers and proceedings, student|
|Educational resources (e.g., textbooks, course modules)|
|Electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs)|
|Journals, campus-based faculty-created||14||12||2|
|Journals, campus-based student-created||19||19|
|Journals, contracted by external groups|
|Journals, inactive back issues||1||1|
|Undergraduate capstones/honors theses|
Conference papers and proceedings - faculty and student (115)
2021: New publications from July 2020 to June 2021. Journals include titles actively publishing during the date range. Other publication types include items that were published or added to repositories for the first time within the date range.
OA/Paid/Hybrid: Publications currently published and/or available online. OA (open access) publications do not include counts for hybrid publications. Hybrid publications are those that offer a combination of both open access and pay-access content.
- International Indigenous Policy Journal (journal)
- Canadian Journal of Information and Library Science (journal)
- The Canadian Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning / La revue canadienne sur l'avancement des connaissances en enseignement et en apprentissage (journal)
- ESC: English Studies in Canada (journal)
- Mathematics in Applied Sciences and Engineering (journal)
- information science
PartnersInternal partners: campus departments or programs
Openness to working with external partners: Consider external partners if there is a tie to my institution (e.g. local editor of a journal for an external scholarly society)
Part of a consortium that provides support for publishing?
- Name of consortium: Ontario Council of University Libraries (OCUL)
- Type of support: OCUL hosts our instance of OJS and provides technical support.
Administer a university press?
Technologies & Services
- Digital Commons (bepress)
- audio/video streaming
- DOI assignment/allocation of identifiers
- notification of A&I sources
- Scholars Portal