Reporting to the Senior Product Manager, Publishing, this position will work collaboratively with senior developers as well as product and service managers to build and maintain innovative open access (and mostly open source) scholarly publishing infrastructure. Key among these platforms are eScholarship (UC’s open access publishing and institutional repository platform) and integrated submission management systems used by researchers and editors to produce and publish original academic journals and to make previously published works available to the world.
- develop new features
- respond to bug reports
- manage regular maintenance
- work collaboratively on new iterations of existing platforms
- evaluate and implement new open source solutions
- build connections between platforms
- participate in both intra- and cross-team pair programming projects
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with: 1) UNIX OS and shell scripting; 2) database design and relational databases (for example SQL, MySql, Postgress); and 3) web-based applications.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of web protocols and server-side programming as well as with web frameworks (such as Django/Rails/Express), and UI presentation tools such as React.
- Demonstrated knowledge of user interface design, prototyping and web applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of unit and regression testing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as demonstrated by the ability to interact with others in a consistently positive and professional manner, exercising discretion and tact.
- Excellent oral communications skills, which demonstrate the ability to effectively convey and explain information, liaise with vendors and tactfully deal with diverse people, situations and ideas.
- Excellent written communications skills, which demonstrate the ability to draft clear, concise specifications, documentation and reports.
- Strong analytical skills as demonstrated by the ability to draw conclusions in a logical, systematic way.
- Demonstrated ability to plan assignments and monitor performance according to priorities, thereby regularly meeting established deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to perform competently under pressure, handling interruptions and changes without losing productivity.
Compensation and benefits:
- Health Care, Dental, Vision
- Sick Leave
- UC Retirement System, 403(b), 457
- Academic work environment / 40 hour work week
The California Digital Library (CDL) is a collaborative effort of the ten campuses of the University of California. As a UC systemwide library, CDL provides services to and on behalf of the UC system in partnership with the UC campus libraries. As a globally-connected digital library, CDL occupies a unique position between the local UC campuses and the global digital library infrastructure. The primary user base for CDL services and programs includes UC faculty, students, and library staff. The CDL is a unit within the UC Office of the President, has a staff of 70+ and is located in downtown Oakland.
The CDL’s Publishing & Special Collections group develops and maintains production services that enable robust access to unique digital assets from the University of California (UC) and beyond. Through the development of advanced technologies and creative partnerships, we provide the UC scholarly community with innovative open access publication and distribution opportunities and aggregate world-class digital collections from libraries, archives, and museums throughout the State of California, serving an array of end users including researchers, scholars, students, and the general public.
CDL welcomes and encourages diversity and seeks applications and nominations from individuals from underrepresented groups. CDL seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University of California, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives, and ways of knowing and learning.
NOTE: While the HR system currently shows this position as closing Monday, December 9, CDL is submitting a request to have that extended to January 6, 2020.