April 12, 2023
Research Data Curation Coordinator
- University of Houston
- Houston, TX
The University of Houston seeks a Research Data Curation Coordinator to lead data services across the research lifecycle. Reporting to the Head of Research Services within the University Libraries, the Research Data Curation Coordinator will establish partnerships in the Libraries and on campus to address existing and emerging research data needs of faculty and students and collaborate with researchers to develop data skills through workshops, classroom instruction, and direct interaction with ongoing research projects and infrastructural initiatives. This position supervises one full-time librarian with the possibility of additional personnel based on demonstrated need.
In these pursuits, the incumbent will build relationships with campus partners engaging in research administration, including the Division of Research, University Information Technology, and the Hewlett Packard Enterprise Data Science Institute. This position also provides opportunities to collaborate with library colleagues to promote research data best practices for accessibility, archiving, assessment, attribution, and discoverability. There is potential growth for the position in areas of data analysis, data visualization, and other areas of digital scholarship.
The Research Data Curation Coordinator is a librarian position. Librarians hold academic rank pursuant to the University of Houston Librarians’ Bylaws. They are expected to develop a record of service, scholarship, and professional development. The UH Libraries support the ongoing professional development of librarians, and our goal is to recruit librarians committed to continuous learning.
- Master’s degree from an American Library Association (ALA)-accredited program, or an advanced degree with demonstrated experience in data management and/or data curation
- Experience applying research data lifecycle and open scholarship principles and competencies to research projects
- Demonstrated ability to work strategically and collaboratively with stakeholders to build data services, programs, and initiatives
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of research data management best practices
- Experience with data preparation and organization methodologies and tools, such as Python, R, SPSS, and/or ArcGIS
- Knowledge of metadata standards and formats used in research
- Experience with data repository systems and tools
- Embrace open scholarship values
- Supervisory, leadership, or project management experience
Salary: $67,000 to $70,000 expected hiring range, depending on qualifications. Comprehensive benefits package; choice of retirement programs including TIAA; tax-deferred annuity program available; release time to take a class up to 3 hours/week; no state or local income tax.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applications should be submitted at https://uhs.taleo.net/careersection/ex2_uhf/jobdetail.ftl?job=LIB000077 Visit UH Libraries Employment page for more information: http://libraries.uh.edu/about/employment/.
Potential applicants seeking further information should contact Christina Gola, Associate Dean for Organizational Development, Learning, and Talent at 713-743-9761 or firstname.lastname@example.org.