The Metadata and Digital Marketing Specialist supports marketing and sales strategies at Michigan Publishing (MPub), which is comprised of three units: the University of Michigan Press, Michigan Publishing Services, and Deep Blue Repositories and Research Data Services.
The Metadata and Digital Marketing Specialist plays a crucial role in enhancing the discoverability and marketability of MPub’s diverse publications – primarily books but also a small open-access journals list and innovative digital products. This position oversees marketing metadata accuracy across all Michigan Publishing products, including the University of Michigan Press’s regional trade, English Language Teaching textbooks, and scholarly imprints; the University of Michigan Press’s distributed clients; and Michigan Publishing Services’ imprints, distributed clients, and journals.
Across all imprints, MPub produces around 120 book projects a year, and the Metadata and Digital Marketing Specialist will be responsible for optimizing metadata across various platforms, ensuring accurate representation and maximum visibility in the rapidly evolving digital landscape. The successful candidate will also collaborate on strategy and content creation for MPub’s web presences in order to increase visibility, reach, and brand awareness in alignment with the organization’s broader marketing needs.
This position reports to the Director of Sales, Marketing, and Outreach, under the direction of the AUL of the Publishing Division of U-M Library. The position may oversee graduate students and undergraduate student assistants.
What You’ll Do
Metadata Management (40%)
- Ensure the accuracy and validity of MPub book, journal, and digital project metadata at the point of release to the supply chain.
- Oversee larger-scale metadata cleanup projects as the Operations group identifies them.
- Collaborate with representatives across all Michigan Publishing departments to enhance product metadata and increase discoverability and conversion.
- Ensure that journal metadata is accurate and indexed in all appropriate locations.
Digital Marketing (30%)
- Create, review, and/or audit content for digital channels
- Utilize metadata feeds and in-house design tools to populate pre-designed marketing collateral templates (flyers, digital ads, etc.)
- Create and manage Edelweiss catalogs and other digital catalogs.
- Research and suggest SEO best practices, new indexing methods and aggregation partnerships, and metadata optimization to improve product discovery.
Website Administration (20%)
- Serve as superuser of the Content Management System (CMS) for the press website.
- Ensure training materials and CMS instructions are kept up-to-date.
- Monitor and analyze website traffic and user behavior using web analytics tools to assess the effectiveness of online marketing strategies, identify trends, and provide data-driven insights for optimizing website performance.
Process and Systems Improvement (10%)
- In collaboration with other members of the MPub team, revise and maintain workflow and associated Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) documentation for recording metadata in Title Management.
- Optimize existing workflows and explore new marketing and project management processes, tools, and systems, including for marketing analytics.
- 2+ years experience in digital marketing and/or metadata management
- Some college education in areas of communication, journalism, public relations, business, education, or a related field
- Excellent data analysis skills, including the ability to construct basic reports and queries, understand and optimize metadata
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to handle multiple projects with multiple components
- Practical judgment, professional attitude, and diplomacy in making and communicating decisions
- Understands and values diversity and the importance of inclusion as demonstrated through a commitment to apply and incorporate the differences, complexities, and opportunities that diversity brings to an organization.
- High level of computer literacy, including proficiency with word processing and spreadsheet software (i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel, or comparable)
- Ability to travel occasionally; most travel is likely to be domestic, with the possibility of rare international travel.
You will be full-time, 40 hours/week; typically Monday – Friday day-time shifts. The marketing team typically works a hybrid schedule with some days in office and some days of remote work. Hybrid work of 1-2 days on site is preferred, but full remote work is possible.
The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance, generous time off (24 vacation days per year, and 15 sick leave a year), matched retirement contributions with immediate vesting, professional development opportunities, and more. TIAA and Fidelity Investments’ retirement benefits are available.
For questions about this posting or to request accommodations, please contact email@example.com.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.