What You’ll Be Doing:
As the Production Editor you will support the publishing activities of Purdue University Press, which includes producing books and journals, and supporting the creation and dissemination of other digital and print publications that advance Purdue University’s research, teaching, and engagement goals. You will have specific responsibilities include copy editing, typesetting, and proofreading; maintaining databases and websites, especially those connected with online journals; corresponding with authors and editors; performing quality checks on content received; tracking progress of content through all publishing processes to ensure deadlines are met; and maintaining detailed records.
We seek an individual who is a fully competent and productive professional contributor, and who can set objectives and work independently on large, moderately complex projects or assignments under general supervision. Individual must be self-starting problem solver. Individual is responsible for minor changes in systems and processes to solve problems or improve effectiveness of an area.
Please note that a cover letter is required to be considered for this position. Your cover letter must include your interest in and qualifications for the position, as well as your past experience, current interests and activities, and/or goals to promote a climate that values diversity and inclusion.
A hybrid/remote situation may be possible for the right candidate.
What We’re Looking For:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication, English, or related field
- Two (2) years of experience in modern publishing requiredEquivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language, including the meaning and spelling of words and grammar
- Experience using various style guides, especially the Chicago Manual of Style
- Experience using Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook; high-level skill in managing files and records
- Ability to
- communicate ideas and using high-level written and verbal communication
- prioritize, organize, and accomplish work while managing multiple projects simultaneously
- work under pressure while still paying close attention to detail
- take initiative to acquire new knowledge and skills
- work effectively with individuals from different viewpoints and backgrounds
- build relationships and respond courteously and effectively to others
Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, book and journal design, and the manipulation of images and text files, including skill using digital publishing technologies