March 31 Update on the 2020 Library Publishing Forum and COVID-19
In light of ongoing developments surrounding COVID-19, including increasing travel restrictions, the Library Publishing Coalition Board and Program Committee have made the difficult decision to cancel the in-person Library Publishing Forum. We feel that the community- and people-centered spirit of the LPC is reflected by this decision to support public health initiatives and maintain the safety of the larger community. We took this step in consultation with our local host, the University of Massachusetts Medical School, to whom we are deeply grateful for their diligent work on behalf of the community of library publishers.
***We are leaving this page up on this page as a record of our planning for this year. See the main Forum page for information about registering for the Virtual Forum.***
2020 registration rates are:
- Standard: US$400
Check out the LPC membership opportunity for Forum attendees!
- LPC member (limit two per member institution): US$200
Contact your voting representative for the code to use when registering.
- Students (limited quantity available): US$50
- Low- and middle-income countries (limited quantity available): US$50
The registration deadline for presenters (to have a guaranteed spot) is March 13. General registration is open through April 10.
Note: After keeping Forum registration rates stable for a number of years, we have raised the standard rate from $300 to $400. This is due to the addition of a third day of the Forum, and replaces the separate registration fee for the preconference. We have also added an LPC membership opportunity that allows non-member institutions that register an attendee at the standard rate to apply a portion of their registration fee to a new LPC membership for 2020-21. For details, see the blog post.
Meals: Registration includes breakfast, lunch, and morning and afternoon coffee/snack breaks on May 4-6, as well as an evening reception (heavy hors d’oeuvres) on Monday and a Med Moth event and small reception on Tuesday. (See the Program page for more information.)
Cancellation & refund policies
- Registrations cancelled more than 60 days before the event will be refunded 80% of the registration fees.
- Registrations cancelled less than 60 but more than 30 days before the event will be refunded 50% of the registration fees.
- Registrations cancelled less than 30 days before the event will not be eligible for a refund.
- No-shows will not be refunded conference fees.
The 2020 Forum is hosted by the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
University of Massachusetts Medical School
Albert Sherman Center
55 Lake Avenue North
Worcester, MA 01655
Please see our customized “Welcome to Worcester” Google map for getting around town!
For your convenience, we have set up a Google doc for those interested in sharing a car hire from Logan Airport to Worcester. We provide this posting board to make it easier for you to find colleagues who might share a car hire, but doing so is up to you. We are not able to coordinate transportation for you. Note: After the Forum begins, we will take down this Google doc and put up another to coordinate car hires from the Forum back to Logan Airport.
There are multiple airports serving Worcester:
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) is about 45 miles east of Worcester (about 1 hour by car) and has the most flight options.
- Worcester Regional Airport (ORH) offers daily roundtrip service through JetBlue, American Airlines, and Delta Airlines for limited destinations including Philadelphia, Detroit, New York City (JFK), and Orlando/Fort Lauderdale.
- Green Airport (PVD) is about 50 miles southeast of Worcester (about 1 hour by car).
Knight’s Airport Limousine Service (508-839-6252 or toll-free 800-822-5456) is based in nearby Shrewsbury, MA, and provides one-way or roundtrip shared van or private shuttle service from all three airports to Worcester area locations. Reservations are required and make sure to book at least 24 hours in advance. Estimated fee is US$55 (one-way).
Check with each airport for additional ground transportation options to Worcester. These include:
- Peter Pan Bus tickets must be purchased in advance online, on the Peter Pan Bus Mobile App, or by calling 1-800-343-9999. Estimated fee from Logan Airport or Green Airport to Union Station in downtown Worcester is $US24 one way.
- MBTA Silver Line from Logan Airport to South Station (free) and then connecting to the Framingham/Worcester Commuter Rail to Union Station in downtown Worcester (US$12.25 one way or $24.50 roundtrip)
- Car rentals
- Uber and Lyft ride apps
- Taxi (estimated US$100 one way)
By Train or Bus
Union Station in downtown Worcester has regular commuter rail service to and from Boston, MA, with connecting Amtrak service throughout the U.S. Both Peter Pan and Greyhound offer bus service to Union Station.
Being centrally located in Massachusetts, Worcester is near several major travel routes:
- Massachusetts Turnpike (I-90); Interstates I-290; I-190; I-395 and I-495.
- Also close to Interstates I-91 and I-95
Parking for visitors to UMass Medical School is most convenient in the South Road Garage (campus maps). Valet parking is also available from the entrance to the Remillard Family Pavilion (main hospital entrance).
- Rates: Six hours (6) or more: $8.00
- For more parking information, see https://www.umassmed.edu/parking/.
Locally, the Worcester Regional Transit Authority‘s #24 bus (Belmont Street/Lake Avenue) provides service to the UMass Medical School Campus. Please call the WRTA at 508-791-9782 for the route and schedule.
More information about Worcester is available at http://www.worcesterma.gov/getting-around-the-city.
Please see our customized “Welcome to Worcester” Google map for locations!
For your convenience, we have set up a Google doc for those interested in sharing rooms. We are providing this posting board to make it easier for LPForum participants to find potential roommates, but doing so is up to you. The Program Committee is not able to help make connections or find accommodations for individuals.
The following two hotels are offering group rates for the 2020 Library Publishing Forum. Rates apply from Sunday, May 3, to Thursday, May 7, and rooms must be booked by April 3, 2020. We expect the blocks to fill up early, however, so please book as soon as possible.
- Residence Inn Worcester, US$149 per night
(located ~ 0.5 mi from the Albert Sherman Center at UMass Medical School)
503 Plantation Street
Book your group rate at the Residence Inn Worcester
- Beechwood Hotel, US$172 per night
(located ~ 0.3 mi from the Albert Sherman Center at UMass Medical School)
363 Plantation Street
Guests must call the hotel (800-344-2589 or 508-754-5789) and reference the “Library Publishing Forum” for the group rate.
The following hotels are located in downtown Worcester, about 5-15 minutes by car (about 2.5 miles) from UMass Medical School. Plans for some shuttle availability from downtown Worcester will be finalized at a later date, with transport scheduled before and after conference hours.
- AC Hotel Worcester
125 Front Street
Toll free: 833-598-6492
- Courtyard Worcester
72 Grove Street
Toll free: 888-236-2477
Rooms from US$166/night
- Hampton Inn & Suites Worcester
65 Prescott Street
Toll free: 800-HAMPTON
Rooms from US$140/night
- Hilton Garden Inn
35 Major Taylor Boulevard
Toll free: 877-STAY-HGI
Rooms from US$146/night
- Holiday Inn Express Worcester Downtown
110 Summer Street
Toll free: 888-HOLIDAY
Rooms from US$137.75/night
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Worcester
1 Washington Square
Toll free: 800-CALL-HOME
Rooms from US$189/night
The following hotels are further away; appropriate for those who will be driving.
- Days Inn by Wyndham Shrewsbury Worcester
889 Boston Turnpike
Shrewsbury, MA (5 miles from Worcester)
Toll free: 800-225-3297
Rooms from US$66.57/night
- DoubleTree by Hilton Boston Westborough
5400 Computer Drive/Route 9
Westborough, MA (10 miles from Worcester)
Rooms from US$132/night
- Hampton Inn Boston Westborough
15 Connector Road
Westborough, MA (10 miles from Worcester)
Toll free: 800-HAMPTON
Room from US$131/night
Additionally, other hotel options in the Worcester area can be found at hotel-rates.com.
The UMMS local team has put together an excellent guide to visiting Worcester. Check it out!
The Library Publishing Coalition is committed to providing an inclusive environment at the Library Publishing Forum, and we will do our best to accommodate requests for special assistance. Detailed information is available on the Accessibility F.A.Q.s page.