The Public Knowledge Project at Simon Fraser University (http://pkp.sfu.ca) is seeking a Software Developer to join our team in providing the leading open source platform for running academic journals, books, and conferences. Reporting to the Associate Director of Development, PKP Software Developers are responsible for designing, developing, and implementing clear and secure software solutions for a variety of PHP-based applications.
We are looking for a developer who can help us support SWORD, an AtomPub profile, by implementing a server-side implementation in PHP. This implementation will be integrated into Open Journal Systems (OJS), our flagship software, in order to permit OJS to receive submissions via the SWORD protocol.
This is a fixed-term contract with a probationary period and good potential for continuing work. Compensation is based on qualifications and experience.
- Experience with SQL (esp. MySQL and PostgreSQL), Apache, and Linux server administration.
Additional consideration given for:
- Knowledge of, or experience with, PKP software (e.g. Open Journal Systems) or a similar open source project is valuable but not necessary.
- Enthusiasm for open source projects and understanding of the benefits of openness in general (open access, open standards, open data, open access to information, etc.).
- Experience with current user interface and user experience best practices, using AJAX, JQuery, CSS, and/or similar tools.
Interested applicants should send the following:
- a cover letter containing a summary of their experience, and at least two references;
- a copy of their resume; and
- code samples, ideally in PHP, ideally open-source (e.g. via a Github repository).
Please submit your application to Kevin Stranack, Managing Director, PKP (email@example.com). Posting will remain open until filled.
The Public Knowledge Project (PKP) is a research and development initiative based at Simon Fraser University with many development partners and supporters around the world. PKP has been developing free, open source software for the management, publishing, and indexing of journals, books, and conferences for 15 years. The PKP software suite is comprised of four modules: Open Journal Systems, Open Monograph Press, Open Conference Systems, and Open Harvester Systems; as well as a variety of supporting software projects. Visit PKP http://pkp.sfu.ca and have a look at the software and code.