Library publishers around the world (but especially in western Europe), check out this call for proposals! The new IFLA Special Interest Group (SIG) on Library Publishing is sponsoring a mid-term event in Dublin, Ireland in February, hosted by LPC member Dublin Business School. Please note that proposals are due by January 15th!
IFLA Special Interest Group (SIG) on Library Publishing
2019 Midterm Meeting
Thursday February 28th – Friday March 1st 2019
Dublin Business School, Dublin, Ireland
Call for Participation
THEME: Mentoring and Education for Excellence in Library Publishing: An International Knowledge Exchange
Library publishing (including new-model university presses housed in libraries) is in its infancy in many countries around the world. The IFLA SIG aims to bring together experienced practitioners and would-be publishers to share information and advance this exciting field of endeavor. New and emerging library publishers will gain insight into the experiences and practices of established presses, and all attendees will learn from new and innovative approaches. The presentations from both sides and the ensuing discussions will advance the excellence and sustainability of library publishing ventures
The aim of the event is to bring together a broad spectrum of publishing programs, to exchange knowledge, and to foster networks and mentoring relationships among library publishers at all stages, also highlighting the important role that the Library Publishing Coalition plays in this regard.
The SIG meeting also invites participation by library schools and others engaged in efforts to educate the next generation of library publishers.
Call for Presenters
- We seek stories, case studies, experiences, research and programs that present evidence of startup or successful approaches in library publishing
- We are also interested in hearing from library schools about any publishing courses or programmes that you offer or are initiating.
- We would like to hear about library publishing networks that you have established or are involved in
- The SIG welcome proposals of presentation types including 30 minute presentations, fifteen minute lightning presentations, round table discussions and workshops.
The program will structured over a day and a half as follows:
- International knowledge exchange: to feature a range of presentations from new and established library-based publishers sharing their successes, discussing their challenges, and identifying lessons learned. Topics may include program development, editorial and production processes, and use of technology to support publishing. Presentations will be interspersed with breakout table sessions for reflection and discussion.
- Education– to feature a range of presentations from library school initiatives which empower the next generation of library graduates with the publishing skillset.
- Concluding Workshop – Challenges in Library Publishing: to feature a panel comprising international experts, fielding questions from students, audience members and virtual attendees.
Delegate Rate: €75
Student Rate: €50
- Title of proposed presentation
- Type of presentation
- Abstract of the proposal (no more than 300 words)
- Name(s) of presenter(s) plus position/s and/or title/s
- Language of presentation
- Employer/affiliated institution
- Contact information including email address, telephone number
- Short biographical statement of presenter(s) (no more than 100 words)
Please submit abstracts by 15 January 2019 as an attachment in MS Word to: Jane Buggle (Jane.Buggle@Dbs.ie) and Marie O Neill (email@example.com)