Day/time: May 8, 2023, 1:15 p.m. to 2:15 p.m. EDT
Title: A Continuum of Library Publishing in Music: First-time Musical Score Publishing to Establishing a Music Label
- Anita Walz, Assistant Director of Open Education and Scholarly Communication Librarian, Virginia Tech
- Kindred Grey, OER and Graphic Design Specialist, Virginia Tech
- Derek Shapiro, Director of Bands and Assistant Professor of Music, Virginia Tech
- Jonathan Caldwell, Director of Bands and Assistant Professor of Conducting, University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- Kathleen DeLaurenti, Director of the Peabody Institute of the Arthur Friedheim Music Library, Johns Hopkins University
Description: This panel discussion features two library publishing projects, one a Creative-Commons licensed and first-time musical-score supplement publishing project intended to “expand the canon” of études available for conducting courses. The other an in-copyright music label with distribution of original in-copyright works via major streaming platforms. Panelists from three universities representing these two projects will describe project goals, disciplinary, technical, and project design issues, decision points, and perceptions regarding their respective projects. The panel will conclude with a discussion of gaps and aspirations for future involvement in music publishing. This session will be of interest to beginning music publishers as well as library publishers already involved in music publishing.